Saturday 3 March 2012

Slipping up, almost slipping up, and missing out

All's been a bit quiet on the blogging front, mostly because I'm moving house today, and so the last few weeks have been a bit focused on that. There's been a lot of conversations and thoughts going on though - mostly around waste and our need for stuff.

A few quick updates though....

I bought a sandwich last week from the cafe across the road. Mmmmmmm coronation chicken. It didn't hit me for a few days that their chicken is not free range (I didn't ask, but given the price and the type of cafe, it would be pretty surprising). So whoops.

I almost accidently went to a supermarket yesterday too. I was in a restaurant/bar with some friends, eating tasty pizza and drinking some lovely red wine, and when I left realised I was in need of some milk. Oh look, there's a Coop across the road - excellent. It wasn't until I got to the til that I realised what I was doing. I blame the several glasses of wine for dulling my memory, but it shows how easy it is to fall into a habit, especially when you're somewhere unknown or different.

And then we move on to the missing out. I was in London last weekend and went to Camden with some friends on the Sunday. Firstly I found it a bit overwhelming - the sheer amount of shops and people trying to get you to buy things is incredible. I came across a lovely scarf that I fell in love with, and I was about to part with my money for it, when my friend Sian pointed out that it was made in China. To me, the scarf was a bargain, but at that price it couldn't pay the workers a fair amount. I realised then that each transaction is not just about me. Clothes and accessories is something I haven't really looked at in detail yet - I think it's going to be a hard one, as I'm not the skinniest girl around, and I'm yet to find somewhere that stocks ethical fashion above a size 14/16. But things like scarves etc are things that I do have control about, and therefore it's even more important that I make the right decisions with these items. I'm still thinking about that scarf though....

2 comments:

  1. On your last comment.....There is a local ethical fashion store in Farnham where I live called Purity that I know stocks larger sizes - they have an online store at www.puritystyle.com - so you can try there!!!! - Px

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a sucker for scarves too. Thinking about it in this context though my scarf starts to suddenly feel a bit chokey...

    ReplyDelete