Saturday 18 February 2012

The problem with cabbage...

...is mostly that I have two of them in my fridge that need to be eaten. Last week I never quite managed to eat the cabbage that came in my veg box, and another one arrived this week.

Given that it's just me eating this food, that's a lot of cabbage.

For the last 3 weeks I have been full of enthusiasm and excitement for the veg box and eating seasonally. Lots of potatoes and carrots? No problem! How hard can eating seasonally be?

Well, now I have two large cabbages in my fridge, not to mention a load of potatoes in my cupboard.

Suddenly, seasonal eating seems a little less appealing. I mean, I like cabbage, but not enough to eat it every day.

So what are the options? Well, sharing a veg box with someone would help with this kind of problem. Half a cabbage a week is a lot more manageable than a whole one. I'm hoping that in my new house, one of my housemates might be up for doing this, but I'll have to wait and see. I could opt for a less seasonal veg box with some imported vegetables, but that kind of misses the point really.

Which leaves me with one other solution - find some more cabbage recipes - can anyone help?

4 comments:

  1. When life gives you cabbages... make soup and freeze it? xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was brought up on Hungarian cabbage recipes - much more appealing. Interesting things like carroway seeds, apples, paprika, tomato sauces, I could look some out for you...
    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Yes, this can be a problem over winter. Cabbage and root veg. But you can sneak a little cabbage into quite a lot of dishes as bulk - stir fry, lasagne, stews, soups, etc. Of course, I am commenting on a three-month time-lag so presumably this won't be an issue again for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Nose_in_a_book on the late posting stakes since we were both pointed in your direction today.
    I hate and loathe cabbage and it turns up all-too-frequently in my Riverford boxes too.
    Best use is colcanon.
    Mashed potatoes, finely shredded steamed cabbage, butter and chopped spring onions, salt and pepper. All mixed together.
    Top with a couple of poached eggs and you even have a meat-free dinner.

    ReplyDelete